When to put fish in new pond
  • david3333david3333 February 2012
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I've just completed my fish pond. How do I know when it is time
    to put in my fish?

Thank You.
  • ChengAunChengAun February 2012
    Check ph, ammonia, nitrate , nitrite. The salt the pond. Wait for a week or two. Then add fish. Care to show your pond layout?
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    ChengAun,
    Thanks for your quick respond. I have attached my pond, please feel free to comment. Any advise will be grateful. The size 78x52x36(depth) inches. The filter measures 12x20 inches and partially eats into the pond. Can you state in details about checking ph, amonia, etc. How to to this? is there a tool/meter? How to salt the pond? I am totally new to breeding koi.
  • ashfaqashfaq February 2012
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • SRathaSRatha February 2012
    Hi David,
    From the picture, it seems you have not coated the pond, and it is bare cement/concrete from the picture. My advice would be to fill it up with water, and let all the toxic/poison from construction of the pond clear out to run in the pond. You may want to clean up using a brush or anything to rid of the excess cement. I would run it in for a week, if not longer (this is a good time to add in all your new filter medias or anything you plan on putting in your filter to run it in). Empty the pond and fill it up with water again. Most importantly add beneficial bacteria, dose it a good amount. If you are still unsure, I would put in tester fish to make sure it can survive for 2-3 days.

For startup, you may go find aquarium salt to add into you pond (make sure it is not iodized salt as this is basically poison for fish), add increments of salt until it reaches .3% in the space of 3-5 days. Never throw salt into the pond directly, make sure to mix it with a bucket of water and allow it to dissolve completely before adding the mixture into your filter, if you use bay filters, put it into the first one.
    You buy salt measures from most koi shops.
    Ashfaq,
    Thanks your your tips, they sure help me understand better. I did not water-proof my pond, my contractor says it is not necessary. The walls and bottom are already with 5 inches concrete and plastered with cement. How do I determine the tonnage(amount of water) in my pond? You mention .3%, so I need to know amount of water my tank can hold. My pond is 78x52x36(depth) inches. The filter measures 12x20 inches and partially eats into the pond.

Thanks again.
    SRatha,
    what filter materials should pun in the 4-chambers filter system?
    SRatha,
    Thanks your your tips, they sure help me understand better. I did not water-proof my pond, my contractor says it is not necessary. The walls and bottom are already with 5 inches concrete and plastered with cement. How do I determine the tonnage(amount of water) in my pond? You mention .3%, so I need to know amount of water my tank can hold. My pond is 78x52x36(depth) inches. The filter measures 12x20 inches and partially eats into the pond.

Thanks again.
  • wongyengwongyeng February 2012
    I would cycle this pond for 2-3 wks before doing anything. Also put in some small fish and see how the fare. When I started my pond, after cycling for 1 wk and throwing in some small fish, all of them kaput. I cycled the pond for another wk and threw in another batch of small fish which survived happily and procreated, indicating all clear to load up.
  • david3333david3333 March 2012
    Wongyeng,
    Many thanks. But first , Ineed to know how to calculate the amount of water my pond can hold. Then only I can put in the necessary salts. Can you tell me how to calculate. BTW, the salt is the type that is sold at sudnry shop(coarse type)?
  • KaajKaaj March 2012
    Hello David,
    Here is the calculation :
    6.5ft x 4.33ft x 3ft = 84.44 cubic feet / 35.315 = 2.39 cubic metres. (1cbm=1ton)
    6.5ft x 1ft x 1.67ft x ft = 0.30 CBM.
    Total Tonnage = 2.69
    You will require less than 9 Kgs of salt for your pond to achieve salinity of 0.3%.

I would suggest raring goldfish, as koi require more space for growth!
  • ChengAunChengAun March 2012
    Uncle Kaaj,
    HAH! There goes me with my 3 ton pond :p
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Kaaj,
    Thanks for the calculation. Anyway, I tested my pond and found it to be leaking water. Overnight, half the water laeked out. I did not water-proof my pond. Now, I need to
    get my contractor to hack off the surface cement plaster and apply with water-proof cement plaster.
  • adleeadlee March 2012
    wait... i read the previous post and you said your contractor cement plaster the walls and floor after they do a five inch concreate? and did not mix the waterproof milk@liquid?
  • idrisidris March 2012
    no..i believe in his previous post his contractor said no need to water proof...
  • adleeadlee March 2012
    heeheh... should ask the contractor if he has pond back at home or not :) mr david how bout dont hack-off it completely. just chip it off a bit the replaster with waterproof cement layer?
    Adlee/Idris,
    you are both right. It seems my contractor forgot to add in the water-proof milk when he plaster the cement. Now it will cost me more to hack-off the layer of cement and replaster with waterproof milk. The water seems to hold at about 1 feet deep. At least the bottom floor is not leaking. I have been refilling with water and I believe the leak is some where between 12" to 16" height.
  • megatronmegatron March 2012
    Is there any piping at the 12" to 16" height? Most leaks are from the pipes.
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • MikeMike March 2012
    David333, when your contractor is plastering, do request them to round up all the corners to 5" each side, bottom 90 degree corner as well.
  • raymond_ongraymond_ong March 2012
    Bro david, ya bro Mike is correct. 90 degree joint where two walls meet or wall & slab meet are always the weakest places and leak the most. If you decided to hack away the plaster surface, suggest to do up the angle filler before apply the water proofing. Hope it helps. With half of pond water gone overnight, think the structure might have some cracks or as other bros suggested leak at the pipes.
    Post edited by raymond_ong at 2012-03-07 12:16:13 am
    Megatron/Mike/Raymond,
    will attached a photo of my finished pond.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership