Do you turn off your UV light at night?
  • eugeneeugene March 2012
    Hi, I switch off my UV lights at night for my koi pond in order to save power. My question(s) are:

1) Is this a recommended practice?
    2) Will this shorten the life of the UV bulb? I was told by a koi dealer that the constant switching on/off will shorten the life instead of prolonging the lifespan of the UV bulb?!!

Anybody here doing the same?
  • cookcpucookcpu March 2012
    You can turn on the UV light only when the pond water start to turn green. In that way, you can save some electricity.

Turning on/off of any electrical product tend to reduce their life span.

I leave my UV light on 24/7. At times, I will turn it off for a week to see how mature is my filter are. IMHO.
  • ShukriShukri March 2012
    Most people that I know leave the UV light on 24X7........
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • KaajKaaj March 2012
    Eugene,
    Better turn off your UV lights during the day. After all, the SUN will provide lots of UV for your filter chamber if you keep it open ;)

Kaaj seriously? ;) I did "think" of that before.....

I was told that if your filter system is "mature", you don't really need a UV light?
  • MikeMike March 2012
    Eugene,

Most keep their UV on 24/7 as stated by Shukri, I do the same.

Taking into consideration that your UV is a 2' and should be a 18W - 20W and the consumption is somewhere around 7.2Kw a month. Multiply that figure to your local grid power distributor and you will fairly know how much you are saving. Other than saving on electricity, you are prolonging the life of your UV bulb, a typical UV bulb lifespan is 4000 - 8000 hour.
    Hi Mike, I was told by the guy who built my koi pond I have 2 UV tubes 50w each to make 100 w. The cost to run it is not expensive per month but I'm more concerned about prolonging the lifespan of the UV light bulb? If I constantly turn on/off the UV light, will that affect the lifespan of the bulb as cookcpu has indicated?
  • smokersmoker March 2012
    I turn on uv 24/7. Still wondering about the life span.
  • MikeMike March 2012
    Hi Eugene, I would say that switching off and on by a cycle per 24 hour will not affect the lifespan of the UV light bulb or other electrical appliances.
  • MikeMike March 2012
    Guys, dont get me wrong, a UV bulb will still light up after the 4000 - 8000 hour projected lifespan but the effectiveness of the UV-C will decrease by a substantial percentage there after.
  • KaajKaaj March 2012
    Bro eugene, Seriously ;)

UV lights are effective within a small perimeter only. Hence my logic : I run 1 pump 24/7, hence 1 UV is on 24/7. I leave the second UV on as well when I run the second pump.

Does not make much difference to the clarity or the electricity bill. But I like my own backyard logic :)

cheers.
  • lautslauts March 2012
    The UV effectiveness last abt 1 yrs if run 24/7 . Switching on/off on daily basis will reduce its life span as it is based on tecnology similar to halogen light , the glass tube will turn dark faster hence effectiveness reduces. I switch mine on when water get cloudy due to bacteria bloom or algae.

ts
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D[Deleted User] March 2012
    24/7 on does it effect the koi in any term?
  • kenlawkenlaw April 2012
    i no more using UV light since last year after my uv light broken. but the water still maintain crystal clear.
  • ShukriShukri April 2012
    It all depends on the reason(s) why a person uses the UV light. If you use it to prevent green water, and you have crystal clear water without UV light, then it is fine to have the UV light off. But some people want to reduce the bacteria from the filter chambers going into the main pond, hence why another reason of turning on the UV light 24X7.
    Post edited by Shukri at 2012-04-14 08:17:41 pm
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership