Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
  • koikitkoikit November 2010
    May b for those who wanted to slow down the growth rate of their show quality koi or bonsai koi can play wit the tds rather than let the koi on low food intake, just a thought..
  • AndySittAndySitt November 2010
    Bro TH, Is there a % of optimum food level for low tds? Well cause the fish still need to eat decently for growth.

My fish grows massively even for males and I always thought its the lack of water flow pushing the fish to move.. Now perhaps tds is another issue why the fish is growing so fast. I am testing on super feeding to increase my tds.. This morning still 80, (shukri) confirm no x10 ...
  • etanoetano November 2010
    Based on Thiam Hwa experience, it throws the thought "low TDS (soft water) is not good for sumi" out of the window! It's classic! The more you read, the more you don't know. :-D
    MyKoiKichi.com ~ A new koi blog.
  • ShukriShukri November 2010
    No wonder the Sumi of my kois are very decent i.e. high TDS level. The reading after doing massive water change is still high is 500 ppm. I can't take the measurement now as I am soaking the pond with Praziquantel. I saw about 3 to 4 of my fishes gulping at the water surface, so highly suspected Gill Flukes. I have the microscope but feel lazy to do a gill swap. Its high time for me to do the Prazi as the last time that I did it was almost 2 years ago when there was a Fluke outbreak in my pond.
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • DanleeDanlee November 2010
    Bro Elmen,

I ageed with you.. the more you read. the more you don't know. I have very high TDS (>250ppm), yet I think I have pretty good growth rate in my pond. On the other hand, I can now understand why I am struggling to improve or mantain the hi of my koi. I always thought that's because I seldom feed colour food in the past. Maybe high TDS is the main culprit.
  • lautslauts November 2010
    Bro,

I would not go so far as to say "low TDS is not good for sumi" myth out the window, based on one observation. I understand that soft water is not good for sumi development , but if your kois have already good sumi like the Atarashi sumi of Matsunosuke farm, soft water would do no harm. My source water at 39 is very soft. My favourite kois are shiros with little or no sumi , most do not develop sumi well . But my Atarashi showas are doing beautifully ( sorry self praise here , not used to seeing sumi so jet black (smoking) , maybe the clay usage helped but it does not increase TDS by much.

Now , I am testing on a Shiromuji and 2 other Shiros ( all from GO Yamakoshi) to see if they develop sumi well. (smoking)

:-) :-)
    rgd
    ts
  • ThiamHwaThiamHwa November 2010
    I uses resin filter cartidges for the incoming water pre-filter unit. This maybe one of the reason for the low TDS reading and soft water. It is not easy to find resin filter cartidges in Malaysia although it is easily available in Thailand and Singapore. Yotti
    in Thailand also uses resin filter for his koi pond.
    Bro TH, where to get the resin filter cartridges?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Wah Bro, you are going to start another craze thread on resin filter soon after the TDS mania. :-D
    Bro Shukri,

I think the high TDS is due to high residual chemicals in your pond rather than from feeding. A little bit of salt will cause the TDS to shoot up, 500ppm is 0.05% salt hardly register in some salinity meter. It is so hard to reduce the chemicals like salt once they are in pond.
    Can you pm me where you get the Prazi and price pls? I may have need for it (sweat)

rgd
    ts
    Bro Shukri,

Those resin cartridges from Thailand do not fit into our standard water filter housing unit. I bought mine from Singapore. Cost around RM75-00 per resin cartridge.
    Locally, no idea where to source for this product. Anyone else know ?
  • yysim88yysim88 November 2010
    Bro Thiam Hwa, can show us how the resin cartridge look like? Thanks for sharing.
    I am using resin pre-filter for my RO machine for drinking water. The brand is Waterco but the cost is double of what Thiam Hwa found.
    Post edited by etano at 2010-11-09 12:50:10 am
    Bro Alan,

Here is a link: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/resin-cartridge.html

It is the first pic. shown. This cartidge will fit into one of those standard
    water housing pre-filter unit. Thank you.
    ThiamHwa,

Would be good to know your TDS before passing thro the resin filter. Then we would know how effective the resin filter is.

ts
    lauts said:

Bro Shukri,

I think the high TDS is due to high residual chemicals in your pond rather than from feeding. A little bit of salt will cause the TDS to shoot up, 500ppm is 0.05% salt hardly register in some salinity meter. It is so hard to reduce the chemicals like salt once they are in pond.
    Can you pm me where you get the Prazi and price pls? I may have need for it (sweat)

rgd
    ts

lauts said:

Bro Shukri,

rgd
    ts

Bro TS,
    Come to think of it, you are quite correct. Before I drained my pond, the salt level was at least 0.3%, then I did a PP Bombing (my kois are fine even at the 0.3% salt), and I didn't backwash my filter for two weeks due to work activities and stress.
    These kind of explain the 1450 ppm TDS reading
    Bro,

Can pm me the Prazi , where to get and price ka. i may need to use la. Anyway good for QT la.

0.3% is 3000ppm salt. At 50% water , salt is still 1500ppm or 0.15% bro. So TDS cannot pakai la.

ts
    TS, I changed 90% water......for sure in my case, the TDS meter cannot 'pakai la.'
    I tried calling you but no answer. Anyway, I have SMS you the information that you wanted.......
    Sorry Bro,
    Left my phone at home la. Thanks

ts
  • rizalrizal November 2010
    Hi,

Shukri said:

Bro Andy,
    Two days ago, I PPied my pond but didnt have a chance to wash the filter and change water.........

Shukri said:

I have just drained my pond to about 90% of water off and cleaning my filter chamber thoroughly. A reading of 1450 ppm has given me a wake call.

Shukri said:

No wonder the Sumi of my kois are very decent i.e. high TDS level. The reading after doing massive water change is still high is 500 ppm. I can't take the measurement now as I am soaking the pond with Praziquantel. I saw about 3 to 4 of my fishes gulping at the water surface, so highly suspected Gill Flukes. I have the microscope but feel lazy to do a gill swap. Its high time for me to do the Prazi as the last time that I did it was almost 2 years ago when there was a Fluke outbreak in my pond.

PP bomb then 90% water change (presumably the salinity would have changed quite a bit too) over such a short time frame. Could it be possible the koi are just stressed?

Best regards,
    Rizal
    Post edited by rizal at 2010-11-09 09:27:49 am

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership