• RudilimRudilim December 2012
    Hello all koi lovers. I am facing a problem with my baby kois. The gills are showing and they are red. They would later die in a couple of days. Usually they will be restless and swimming slowly near the surface. They don't swim up to gasp for air though.

I have attached a picture of a dead fish on how the gills are showing. It is red when they were alive.

I really need your advise on this. I have lost 15 baby kois since I bought them 2 weeks ago.
    Attachments
    image.jpeg 64K
  • ashfaqashfaq December 2012
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
  • ikankoikauikankoikau December 2012
    Bro Rudilim,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will get as much info as possible from this forum.

Without knowing your pond and kois back ground, I personal feel that you are having Ammonia or/and Nitrite problem. Darken of gill plate or sometimes body indicates Ammonia/Nitrite poisioning have witness thousands of table fishes died due to this problem. Eventually the koi's health will get worst and all disease will appear.

This clearly involved bacteria attack. Check your water parameters and tell us a bitnon your pond, filter and kois. This will allow hobbyist here to help you. Photos will be good.

For the time being, stop feeding. If Nitrite is involved, you need to use salt to offset it. Use medication that will allow salt to be mixed with. Even salt alone can be a good start. Make sure you provide plenty of aeration as salt will reduce TDO(Total Disolved Oxygen) and your problem involved a lot with respiration.

Good luck.
    Thank you ikankoikau for the help. I rear these young kois in an aquarium indoors first. Have added salt and still observing their progress.
  • MfwleeMfwlee December 2012
    It is always sad when we hear that koi are being lost but you must provide some information when you ask for help. The minimum that will be required are size of pond, location, stocking level, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Pictures will also be very useful.
    The above information will serve as a guide for us to help you.
    There are many things that could have gone wrong - but information is required if we are to avoid simply shooting in the dark. :)
    Mike Lee
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar December 2012
    Agree with Bro Mfwlee,

Welcome to the forum Bro Rudilim,
    It's sad to know that u lost so many koi's in a very short time. You already lost 15 koi's which kept in aquarium ? What's ur aquarium size bro? And filter setup?

Capt aka Ikankoikau already provided some basic solution for ur problem, now need ur input to help the brothers and sifu's here to provide possible root cause and solution for ur problem

Cheers and gud luck :)
    Bro Mfwlee and bro Bthineshkumar, I am sorry for not being clear in asking my question. I am very new to rearing fishes, needless to say koi. I will ask my local fish shop regarding how to obtain pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels of my water.

My tank is 100cmx50cmx25cm(water level). These young fries are around 3-5cm. I had around 30 of them and now left with around 17. I do have filter set up but the power doesn't seems to be strong enough. I will also get this changed. Meanwhile, there is no more casualties after I have added salt to the water.

When I was at the farm getting these koi fries, I did notice other fishes with such a problem. The caretaker told me it was normal. I didn't thought this could trigger any alarm so I picked those I wanted.

I appreciate your help. Will update more once I have the required information.

Cheers!!

Post edited by Rudilim at 2012-12-19 02:26:43 am
  • BthineshkumarBthineshkumar December 2012
    Bro Rudilim,

Based on the dimension given, it's only 125 liters, and 17 koi's is way overstocked. For this size, maximum salt can be used is 800 g (0.6% salinity) but split into 4 portion and pour in at every 4 hours.
    You can buy Anmonia/ Nitrite/Nitrate tester from brand such as API and Jbl.
    What type of filters and what are the filter media ur using? I believe ur filter not matured enough to cater the load.
    Where r u located bro?
  • MfwleeMfwlee December 2012
    Be a bit careful when you make the decision to keep Koi fish. They are not meant for small aquariums and you will have endless problems if you decide to do so. The minimum I would recommend would be a 6 foot Fiber Glass tank, 3 feet wide and about 21/2 feet of water depth.
    If you want to utilize your current tank - try to look at other aquarium fish that would be more suited - but not Koi, or their local brothers, carp.
    Another tip - never spend your money if you see fish that are behaving funny. They will be time bombs waiting to explode on you.
    Try to read up from this forum - and appreciate the challenges of Koi keeping, and then make a decision as to whether it is for you. Try to visit one of the members - I am sure that they will be able to give you good guidance. :)
    Mike Lee
    Bro mfwlee.. haha these are temporary place for them to grow into decent size and also a place where I quarantine new fishes. I am building a mini waterfall outdoor with a small small pool.. size of the pool is about 250cmx100cm with 80cm depth. Limited space as I have to house my chickens too. I am building another water tank of 200cmx200cmx90cm to have extra space just in case my kois are grown. These tank will have water filtration with UV.

I think my mini pool fits the minimum requirements. hehe
    Bro Bthineshkumar, I thought 125 litters enough to hold 17 2-3 inches fries. I will try to increase the water level for the time being. I use normal aquarium filter.

I am located in Indonesia.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership