Gill infection
  • weihanweihan August 2011
    Any know what medicine is good to cure gill diseases? My fish keep breathing from the surface of water and air bubbles coming out from the gill.
  • lautslauts August 2011
    Weihan,

Utmost importance is to QT this koi soonest. Knock it out with Transmore and check for gill damage/rot. You need to check the rest of the pond members as well as gill disease spreads very fast. You can use Blagdon AntiUlcer for gill disease. If you find a few others having gill damage you will need to dose whole pond unless you can QT all the kois.

Act fast and good luck.

ts
    Hi lauts,
    Is potassium + 0.3% salt useful for treatment?
  • lautslauts August 2011
    You can try but firstly is it gill rot ? Best is still AntiUlcer . Potasium and salt will further compromise koi breathing as both are O2 stripper and the gills (if gill problem) already eroded and compromised. So PP and salt not first choice.

ts
    i shall upload a video later, hope some of you can help me to see is it gill infection or not....
    The ginrin chagoi is the one
  • ashfaqashfaq August 2011
    Bro @weihan: It seems you have almost all varieties :)
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Bro ashfaq,
    All fish belongs to my dad, both of us love Koi :) he loves to have all varieties in his pond...
    shall upload some video later for all 3 ponds i have...
    Btw, is gulping air means gill infection?
  • lautslauts August 2011
    Weihan,

Very friendly chagoi. Again check the gill la , no video can do . I may be mistaken but the chagoi seems to be swimming erratically? In a well stocked pond you have, gill rot will be very dangerous . Check the gills by opening the gill flap and also check the mouth opening for abnormallities . Gulping can mean many things , eliminate the most dangerous cause first ie gill rot as it is highly contagious la. :O

ts
    Lauts,
    This chagoi very friendly and greedy since young, dint even scare of net... Thanks for the info...
  • ChengAunChengAun August 2011
    Gulping also could be symptoms of sinking disease if i'm not mistaken.
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Hi CA,
    sinking disease, one of my fish have it too, without gulping.. what is the cause for sinking disease?
    Sinking disease is caused when the swimbladder is filled with air. The air causes the fish to be unbalanced therefore causing the fish to lose control and sink.
  • JamesJames August 2011
    Wah, little CA bursting with knowledge.... =D>
  • PH8PH8 August 2011
    Not exactly, CA. The swim bladder fills with air when the fish wants to swim up, and fills with water when it wants to swim deeper. Kind of a ballast system, not unlike that used by submarines. Swim bladder disease or sinking disease happens when a bacterial infection impairs the proper functioning of the swim bladder or its valves.
    Thanks all for info. Antibiotic shall help for sinking disease in this case.
  • ShukriShukri August 2011
    Hi Weihan,
    TS is correct in saying that 'GULPING' can mean many things.......
    1) Not enough oxygen also can cause fishes to gulp
    2) Parasites in the gills such as gill flukes can also cause fishes to gulp
    3) Bacteria Gill Disease (BGD) is also a culprit
    4) Bad water condition i.e. something in the water can also cause fishes to gulp

So you have to figure out which one.......
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
    Hi Shukri,
    I'm sure that my pond got enough oxygen supply so confirm not the first culprit. My dad"s friends came over and he aid it is due to bad water condition, so now having treatment with yellow powder and antibiotic by food now. Btw, thanks for your info :)
    Which pond is it? from the vids that you shared, the ponds look like they may not have enough oxygen supply.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership