How to identify a female and a male young koi
  • ikankoikauikankoikau September 2011
    Without able to touch, I'll go for female lah... (vent 2)
  • ShukriShukri September 2011
    After this I hope more will come forward and let's do a 'LETS GUESS THE SEX OF THIS TOSAI.' :-D
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • kumarishnakumarishna September 2011
    I will go for female as well for vent no.2 banghead
  • megatronmegatron October 2011
    As mentioned by Bro Captain, without able to touch it we will be based on limited access to determine or "guess - without answer" based on your best knowledge to judge. To be fair. My best understanding analyze based on this drawing - SUN shape (vent on mature koi). It has neither biological nor medical confirmation.

image :-S
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • lautslauts October 2011
    Ok , the vent no 2 turn out ...... FEMALE \:D/ \:D/ Well done to those who got it right. When i first saw it i thought sinking in vent so male lah. Bro Daniel Chew hope you are right too with the Dainichi, i think should be able to tell soon. Maybe will take a pict every month to see how it develops? Good way to learn 8-)

Just back from collecting an auction koi , will post vent later for round 2 guess, but no answer la , wait for 3 month la @-) .

ts
    Bro LauTS, I think you have to tell us which farm and variety of koi in this process of study. Thanks. @-)
    Don't ask me why!!!
  • ShukriShukri October 2011
    Can we have the latest vent photo for vent 2?
    In Koianswers Forum, no one individual is above the rest. This is the Forum for the Koi Community.
  • DanleeDanlee October 2011
    Bro Lau,

Interesting !!.. Looks like Bro Daniel Chew guessed it right using Bro Raymond Hiew's theory. In fact, in our previous sex exercise, Felix would always guessed a koi as female when he saw a "sun" vent shape irrespective whether it is "sunrise" or "sunset" :-)) :-)) :-)) . Maybe you can tell us how old when this vent picture was taken and the latest vent picture and the age now. The changes in the vent pictures will definitely help us to learn a lot...

Brothers,

Since we are going to see a lot more vent pictures (hopefully) in the future ., I think it will be good if we have a better naming convention to minimize confusion.. I would like to suggest that we use the following naming convention - ForumIDventxx length (eg Lautsvent01 32cm). What do you think?
    Post edited by Danlee at 2011-10-01 09:32:37 am
    I have taken photos on Sun Vent and Umbrella Vent to share with you guys.

1) megatron01 43cm (Sun vent) is a female

2) megatron02 58cm (Umbrella vent) is a male

Post edited by megatron at 2011-10-01 04:05:22 pm
    Don't ask me why!!!
    Bro Daniel Chew,

Did you manage to confirm with Raymond Hiew on the sun the umbrella pictures?
    Hi bro Daniel Lee,

I have checked with bro sifu Raymond about the sun n umbrella vent and he said that it is just a general rule of thumbs to identify male n female except tosai. It is hard to judge a tosai because when the koi grows, it changes. By looking at the vent itself, it may not be good enough. Other factors like gills texture, pectoral fins and ...etc are equally important.

Don't ask me why!!!
  • ikankoikauikankoikau October 2011
    Hahaha... Now we are back to square one:-))
  • ChengAunChengAun October 2011
    :-))
    Be updated in the world of koi. Jangankan seperti "Koi di bawah bottom drain"
    Bros,

I post a few on my new acquistions's vent. They have been quarantine so none have been fed heavily on sparingly between treatment . These represent very diverse vent shapes amongst my few other tosais in QT now. Will update , unfortunately may take sometime to confirm gender as these are tosai from 21cm to 38cm. Going forward i think we will all learn something as vent develop overtime. Will also include in comments to other factors like pectorals , beni etc which may give some indication.

a) Lauts01 - 38cm. Seijuro showa tategoi from the GO prize. Most would guess male but if you see there is an additional piece like a gate flap ? I have seen this on my very mature female , never on males(maybe they have sinked in ?? My guess female. Pectorals and beni looks much female.

b) Lauts02- 26cm. A Takachio kohaku that both myself and Bro Danlee think likely female at time of purchase. Frankly low chance of female as beni very bright, good shiroji and sharp kiwa and sashi. A leftover piece , too good to be true for the price paid.

c) Lauts03-21cm. A takachio kohaku from auction. The smallest of the lot , from beni and pectoral looks female. Very typical vent for young tosai.

d) Lauts04-31cm. Another takachio kohaku from auction at 31cm. Pectoral looks male , with very good shiroji and scallop (maruzome) beni ( as commented by bro Kaaj).

e) Lauts05-28cm. A Shiro at 28cm. Head yellowish , (remember what Bro Capt said?) , could be due to colour feed i am using sparingly in QT.

That's all folks.

thanks
    ts
    Bro Lau, let me know how many I got it right...hahaha

a) Female
    b) Male
    c) Female
    d) Male
    e) Female

On selecting Shiro, you can only apply the whiter head theory(for female) only when you see a school of Shiro. Under the same water condition, stress level and food given, the female will look whiter than the male. If mix varieties, this can't be applied. ;-)
    Capt,

Ok by me , 3 female out of 5 not too bad. For result have to wait another one year :-)) :-))

But seriously why male on b)02? can see a slit transverse or something ?

ts
    b) can go either way but I opt for male because it sinks in. More toward triangle shape. But still got chance for female. Tell me in a year :-c
  • ashfaqashfaq October 2011
    Bro Lauts,
    From my learning, i can say as follows...

a) Male/SheMale - No Slit visible :)
    b) Female - has Slit
    c) Female - has Slit
    d) Male - has round/umbrella shape
    e) Female - has Slit
    Thanks,
    Ashfaq from India-Chennai
    Bro Lau,

A bit difficult to judge since they have not been fed much for sometime. Anyway, my guess as follows:-

a) Female - mainly because it has a sun shape and a small slit.
    b) Female - sun shape and slit
    c) Female - for the time being. This vent type at 20+cm can be quite misleading. All my Seijuro GO showa have these vent types when they were 20+cm .. unfortunately, most of them turned into male with their vent sunken in eventually.
    d) male - umbrella shape
    e) male - no obvious slit and sun shape

Bro,
    These photos taken from one of my Kohaku. About 45cm. Pactoral fins are rough, Beni is bright and big possibility to turn out to be male. But looking at the photos, you can clearly see the slit. Photo no 2 is taken to show wx it protrude out or not.

Base on this Kohaku, I give you b) koi a possibility to turn out to be male ;-) If yours turned out to be female, I will share the joy too :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership